Monday, March 15, 2010

Teaching re-cap...Finally!

Hello all! I didn't do a teaching re-cap blog last week because...well, I didn't feel like it. ha! I've got my schedule all figured out and things are running smoothly! This semester, I have decided to be a bit more bold with His teachings, while I am teaching English. Stan and I decided to talk about a wise saying, a Proverb, each day in class. Last week, I wrote the wise saying on the board and had them act it out in groups. They had so much fun with it! I plan to do that every once in a while, because it hits home with them better. This weeks wise saying was,

"Don't answer the foolish arguments of fools, or you will become as foolish as they are."

Some of my students did not understand this and we talked about it for a while after explaining my understanding of it. I had each student write down this wise saying in their own words and then tell me about a time it happened to them, if it applies. Two student's answers stuck out to me the most. Here are their examples of a time it happened to them.

"Example: On the street, the light turns to red. But there are no cars running in front of us. Two men near me discussed whether to cross the street or not. Then they cross the road and accident happened. So if you are a fool, you will follow them, and if you obey the rule, you are the clever."

The reason this one stuck out to me, is because this happens a lot here. People just don't obey the traffic rules and people get hurt. I would never think to associate this Proverb with traffic laws, but he did. Here is the other one.

"When someone talk about me behind mine back, I just give them a smile." That makes me smile. This girl is so sweet, and I do not know any of my students that well this semester, but I plan to make friends with this girl. Her name is Andy. Keep her heart in mind.

Well, that about does it for me! I am ready to start our third week of classes and excited to tell you about it at the end of the week! Don't forget to think about me in China! Thank you for reading, I love you all!

5 comments:

  1. Ok, I just read your "about me" and answered my question. That is amazing you are teaching college kids. GO YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are awesome. So are you teaching? And I'm assuming these children speak English?
    You are awesome JULIE-SON!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck. Sounds like you have a plan. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a difference you are making in their lives ! ! ! I love the "kids" examples. Love your blogs and love you ! ! !
    Layna MIL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved your post! I love you, you are doing a good job...proud mommy moment (for real).

    ReplyDelete