Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Contrasting Cultures

The Chinese culture is just so strange...to me. It is much more different than the American culture. It doesn't matter if I have been in this country for 7 months, or 7 years it will still be different from what I am used to. Since I have been here, I have compiled a list of things I have found to be different and at the same time, contradictory. These things may or may not be independent of the Chinese culture, and other Asian countries may embrace these aspects as well, but I do not know. I only spent a short amount of time in 3 other Asian countries, not enough time to decide. So, these are just a few things I have noticed along the way and maybe it will help you back home understand a little bit more about the culture here and how they live their daily life.

1. They don't like to eat anything with their hands. I saw a girl eating McDonald's french fries with a TOOTHPICK and eating hot wings without her hands touching it. She was using a napkin to pick it up...And we have "Finger food Potlucks" at home! Haha, that is so funny to me!

2. They like to open windows in the middle of winter to keep from getting sick because of the "bad air", but they will smoke indoors until someone, usually me, starts coughing. In some states in America, you cannot smoke in any public indoor area.

3. Most men smoke like freight trains, yet the country as a whole is so health conscious!

4. Most people eat with their mouths open and talk while they chew, yet it is considered rude to show your teeth when you use a toothpick.

5. I have seen many people wipe down an area before they sit down because it is dirty, but there is no soap to be found in the bathrooms for which to wash your hands.

I don't mean for this to sound like I am complaining, because really this is just to show a little bit of daily life to you back home! Some of these things are things which got to us when we were dealing with culture shock. My blogs are designed for me too look back on this experience and to remember what I was feeling at a certain moment in time. This is what I am feeling now. Any culture apart from what I am used to is going to be frustrating. It is simply different and that is difficult sometimes. These things may seem silly, but it's funny because sometimes these things are what bother me the most if I am not having a good day! haha! Don't take this blog as me being upset or down in the dumps. I'm not, I'm just opening the Chinese world to you!

Anyway, thanks for reading and don't forget to think about me in China!! I love you all!!

3 comments:

  1. Culture is any people-group's way of organizing their world. Many of the things we do drive the Chinese who first come to the U.S. crazy, too. Accepting that most of these difference are not right or wrong, they just are is critical to healthy adjustment. Reaching the point of not just accepting, but appreciating some of these can be a point of breakthrough. In light of all these thoughts about the strangeness of how "they" do it, imagine the shock for big brother! Mind-blowing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blogs. They are wonderful ! ! !
    You give a "piece of your mind" in each one and they are GREAT !!!
    Layna

    ReplyDelete