Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A Blog Post for Erin! :)

Stan and I have a friend who is a doctor in the clinic on our campus. Her English name is Sandy. She is so fun to be around and she laughs constantly! She is a big help to us when we need medicine, because she knows what to give us! Our relationship has been growing quickly! So, we invited her to go to lunch with us last Wednesday. She said she knew the perfect place for us to go. So we all got in a taxi and headed downtown. Stan and I didn't know where we were going, but we were just along for the ride. Even though we invited her to lunch, she just took over, she paid for the taxi ride and then she wanted to pay for lunch, but Stan was sneaky and slipped the money to the waitress. :) So, she was upset that we paid for lunch, I mean like mad...so she said, "Ok, you paid for lunch, I will pay for your massage. Would you like to go get a massage?" We said, "...Uhm, ok!" So off we go to get a massage. Well, we walked up to a hair salon and she said, "Here it is." Confusion sets in. I asked what we were going to do, and she said they were going to massage our heads.

So we got a head massage, and Stan got two because he doesn't have as much hair as Sandy and I do. They washed and styled our hair after the head massage. The head massage was wonderful! But the styling part was not so wonderful. In China, they just do things differently. They do things in a way I would never think to do them because it is the longest possible way to do it. I asked the stylist to just straighten my hair and curl it under at the bottom. So Sandy told him that. It took him about 4 times longer to do my hair than it takes me. I'm not kidding either! We were there for a very looooooong time, just doing MY hair!! It was ridiculous, but it was a fun experience and things are often ridiculous in China. :)

Here are some pictures from the day. I forgot to bring my camera, so these are taken from Stan's camera phone! This is me getting my hair washed.


The name of the hair salon was "Danny"!
This is after the hair washing, preparing for some styling!!


As you can see from the front view in the mirror, he did not do as I asked. lol If you can't see it, click on the picture to make it bigger!




And...we never figured out what this was. They hooked these chords up to someones head somehow. Maybe for a perm? Have you ever seen this, Erin!? haha!


It was a fun filled afternoon and I thought you should see how things work in China related to the hair realm. Thanks for reading and don't forget to think about me in China! I love you all!

2 comments:

  1. Thinking hard that this relationship grows much deeper. Sandy obviously values your friendship. Hoping for the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! I LOVE it! the metal thing that you didn't know what it was was most likely a perm machine. good job! Those are WAY old fashion though, so maybe they just had it for decoration. I LOVE the pics of the salon...i bet they're really neat over there. :) Thanks for the blog:) love you guys!

    ReplyDelete