Saturday, March 20, 2010

Teaching re-cap

This week I did the Proverb that says, "A gentle answer will calm a person's anger, but an unkind answer will cause more anger." I think it went over well because they all understand getting angry with someone. Everyone does. I talked about how me and my sisters would fight when we were little and scream at each other: an unkind answer. After I asked their opinion of the proverb, if they agreed or disagreed, all said they agreed with this wise saying.

After some discussion, I had them get into their "family groups" and come up with a skit. (I taught them the word "skit".) I told them to act out what they learned in a storyline. They were so funny. First of all, they get a kick out of acting like someone else. I mean, it's like the funniest thing in the world for a girl to act as a guy. So, it was fun to watch them have a good time and learn something important too! I wish I had some video of it, but they just get so nervous if I start to video them and then they don't do as well.

One funny story from this week: After the Proverb skits, I taught them how to play Charades. I told them this game was for them to work on their pronunciation, and they needed to pronounce everything correctly for their team to score a point. The phrase I gave the team mates was "Climbing the mountain." Now, Chinese people have trouble with the "th" sound. They mispronounce it almost every time because the Chinese language does not have this sound.

So, when a girl from Team 2 shouted "I know it, teacher! Climbing za mountain!"
I said, "No, you are close."
She replied, "Climbing a mountain!"
I said, "No, you are not as close as you were before!"
*Confusion sets in...and then as she rolls her eyes and laughs, says, "Ok, ok teacher. Climbing THE mountain!!"

It might be one of those things where you had to be there...but it sure was funny! Ha! thanks for reading my blog! We have had a wonderful weekend with some students, so look forward to some blogs about that! And Lee, my Chinglish pictures collection is growing, so be looking forward to that! I love you all and don't forget to think about me in China!

1 comment:

  1. Ha Ha Ha that's cute that she said that! I bet they have so much fun doing the skits! Keep it up! I'm thinkin about ya a lot!!!! Love:)

    ReplyDelete