Friday, November 20, 2009

"Googoe"

This week my students did their presentations for their final. I had them talk about a place they would like to travel or a place they have already been. This was the first week they had signed up to do their presentation, so not that many people signed up for this week. The only exception was in my Thursday class. That is a big class, so there were a lot of people that had signed up, mainly because there was no other time to sign their name by. Anyway, they have a problem with being quiet when others are talking. So between two people doing their presentations, I stood up and said, "Did we forget the rule about not talking when someone else is? I cannot hear the person presenting if you are talking. So please don't talk." As I was saying that, I lowered my voice gradually so I was almost whispering at the end of the sentence. And the students all in unison whispered, "OK." It was so funny because I didn't expect them to say anything because a lot of times they do not respond.

The presentations were good, and after them we played a game. It is called "The Cards Game" well, because you play with a deck of playing cards. I handed a card to each student. i explained that each card had a corresponding question and they were immediately intimidated when I showed them the list of questions. But I encouraged them they did not have to answer all of them. Anyway, as I was asking the questions to each student in this particular class, they seemed very nervous. When I asked the question to them, they would look around at their classmates for help. I let it slide a couple of times (normally I wouldn't let them have help). It got to where every student was asking for help from his/her classmates. It all came down on one poor girl, lol. After I asked the question, she looked at her friend beside her. I said, "No, don't look at her! (in a joking tone, but I really didn't want her to.) And I kind of growled at the end, and they thought that was hilarious! And it was. I was trying to get the point across to them they needed to do it themselves and I think it worked! It was funny because they laughed for a long time after I "growled". haha.

One more thing about teaching: this is very random. I was asking my students where I could go on the internet to watch movies in English. They told me a couple of places and then one boy said, "You could also go on Googoe." I thought he just mispronounced "Google". I had heard a lot of students say that word. Then, last night I was looking at the websites my students told me to got to. In the corner I saw something that looked like "Google" but it was spelled "Gougou". Then the clouds spread and all was clear! IT IS pronounced "Googoe"! Hahaha it was so funny, because all this time I thought they were mispronouncing "Google". I'll leave you with that funny story. Thanks for reading! Don't forget to think of me and I love you all!

4 comments:

  1. I love your story. I would also like to point out that you, me, and Stan all end our posts in "I love you all". :) We've got a lot of love.

    ps.. I promise I will catch up on all of your posts when we get to gatlinburg and I have time. :) love you, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute, You do a good job at keeping your blog currect! I love you, Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too like your blogs ! ! ! They are fun to read. I love you...."Mather" in law

    ReplyDelete
  4. CB: Haha, I didn't notice that! That's funny.
    M:Thanks!
    "M"IL: Thanks! lol

    ReplyDelete