Thursday, November 26, 2009

Chariots of Fire

On our campus, well on all college campus' in China, they like to play loud music at 5:00 PM. You can hear this music where ever you are on campus. Even inside buildings. They blare it as loud as they can, I'm sure. Why 5 PM? I have no idea. The song they start with is always "Chariots of Fire." If you do not know what song that is, click here. It's hilarious that that is the song they chose to play everyday at 5. The songs progress through the evening and play until about 7 or so. Well, if you have read Stan's most recent blog, you would know what he did yesterday. He sat out on our "deck" and played Christmas music for our campus to enjoy. At 5 o'clock, the competition began with "Chariots of Fire"! He cranked up the jolly tunes and waved at passersby. He said he got a few smiles and waves, but most people did not know what to think. haha! Well, a little before dusk, we got a phone call in our room. No one ever calls the room, so I wondered who would be calling. It was Vincent, our waiban. He told us we needed to turn the music down and not play it so loudly because some people in our building were trying to sleep. At 6 PM. Keep in mind, the campus music is still blaring loud. This person is trying to sleep, and WE are keeping them up. yeah. Well, I thought it was hilarious that we got told on for playing jingle bells, while "Chariots of Fire" is just-a-blarin' in te background! Haha! I hope you enjoyed that, because I'm done. I'm gonna end this abruptly, because there's nothing else to the story, haha! Thanks for reading! I love you all and don't forget to think about me in China!

1 comment:

  1. Very Strange Custom..poor people not being appreciative of the yuletide traditions.

    ReplyDelete