Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Yellow Mountain

This past weekend we went to Yellow Mountain! It was incredible! We climbed up the East side and went down the West. I'm glad we did because even though the East side was difficult, the West side was ridiculous! The West side was also the most beautiful! I don't have many pictures of the amount of stairs we had to climb to get up to the top, (I was too busy climbing them!) but here are a few of the East side going up! (If you are on facebook, you might have already seen these.)









We tried to figure out how many steps we climbed up and it was somewhere between 15,000 and 20,000! Some of our friends, Kyle and Rebecca climbed this same mountain last year and they, unfortunately didn't have as good a time as we did. They went Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Their school took them, and it was "very Chinese" as we like to say. So whenever I heard someone say "Yellow Mountain", I always had a bad taste in my mouth. I was a little apprehensive about it, but still excited! It turned out to be a really good trip! We stayed in a really good Hostel. Good food, and the hostess' were really nice! When we got to the mountain, the weather felt good, but it was cold. I had two layers on my legs, and 4 on my top. We got about 1 meter up the mountain and I was shedding layers! I couldn't shed the bottom layer on my legs because I'd have to take my pants off. So, we came to a clearing on the mountain for a resting spot and I noticed there was a good area I could go hide and shed a layer...so I did! And I felt so much better! We had to keep moving though because it was still cold, and we were sweating from all the climbing! So on we went! We got to the top (6 meters up of stairs), then there was about 1 meter to climb to see the top of the mountain. So on we went! And this is what we saw!









Here are the pics I took going down the West side! This was so cool! I think these looked like fake rocks, or almost like they were painted on a screen!







This next picture is of the tunnel we went through to get to the cable car.


And this is the ride down the mountain in the cable car.



I have a lot of Chinglish pictures from this trip, so I'll do another blog for that soon! Thanks for reading! I love you all!

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful place!! I'm glad the weather was clear enough to see..its crazy how crowded it was!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really cool!! You are right about those rocks looking fake! I'm glad you had a good time!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad that your "taste" of Yellow Mountain was better than Kyle and Rebecca's. The pictures are just beautiful and I am sure they don't do it justice.
    Glad it was such a good trip for you ! ! !
    I love ya,
    Layna

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome! Huang Shan is definitely on our list of China things to do, but I think that will be a weekend trip when we can leave Connor with someone else...cannot imagine lugging him up 2000 steps! I'm very impressed with your adventurousness. :-)

    ReplyDelete