Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Teaching Re-cap

I haven't even done one of these yet this year! I guess it's because I was too busy complaining about the class that hates me (just kiddin). Well anyway, I'm doing one this week because I felt like this week went really well. It sounds funny to say that because it's only Wednesday morning here as I am writing this, but my teaching days are Mondays and Tuesdays...and they are FULL! So this is the end of my week, technically. It's Thanksgiving week and it was a fun week to teach! I got to talk about what we do on Thanksgiving. Many of them know about the Holiday, but they haven't had a foreign teacher explain it to them with pictures and videos and such. (By the way, Stan made a really cool video about Thanksgiving...it's on Facebook. You should check it out!) So, I had a power point presentation with the history and pictures of food and I explained how to make some things. I explained we watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and Football. I also explained to them that it is called Football, not American Football in America. I just got a blank stare from that, because they were probably thinking, "Duh..." Then I showed the video and explained it as well! Then came the fun!

I showed the students some pictures of some "Turkey Hands" and they loved them! They thought they were so cute! I showed them some I found online that named things they were thankful for. And then I told them it was their turn to make them! They let out the normal "Whaaaa" when they are surprised and I passed out the papers. I played some Christmas music while they finished up their hands (and I finished mine.) Then they showed them to the class! (I feel like I've said "then" a thousand times!) I only did this with one class because most of my other classes are AV classes. Here are a few pictures from the day!


This was mine! It says toward the bottom that I am thankful for Class 10TFC2. That is this class.



This one was given to me at the end of class by a girl named Heroine. (Female Hero...not the drug) On the thumb part of the turkey she wrote she is thankful for Love and wrote the Chinese character for it above the English. I thought that was cool.



These are my Freshman! My only Freshman class and I love them!! They are so sweet and listen so well! One of the girls in the middle had a really good one. I commented on how artistic she was and she said, "My Turkey is so fashion! It has a handbag and scarf!" She was so proud! hehe!

As you might or might not be able to see, there are only three guys in the back. Sean, John, and Key. Yes, Key. They have to stick together!


Well, it was a fun day and I'm glad I got to do it with my students! Don't forget to think about me in China and I love you all!

5 comments:

  1. Good JOB!! You are a great teacher!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute!! I love that they get excited about things that we did when we were kids. We all grew up knowing what "hand turkeys" were and they light up like little children when you show them something new!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just great ! ! ! Makes me laugh though because I didn't even do hand turkeys with my kids this year ! ! ! So glad you did that with them.
    I agree with your Mom......YOU ARE A GOOD TEACHER ! ! !
    I love ya,
    Layna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! I think I'll steal the Thanksgiving hand for next year...

    ReplyDelete