Monday, November 8, 2010

Good Day: 4 Reasons

Just wanted to write a quick blog before going to bed about today's events: broken up into 4 events.

#1 Queen Latifa
This morning I got to my "Listening, Viewing, Speaking" (AV) class and I had planned on watching "The Blindside" with them because I thought this would open up some good conversation about things, and maybe spark some interest in some of my students. Well, I asked them at the beginning of the semester if they had seen the movie and they said they had not. Turns out they had seen it last year in this class, and had discussed it! I wasn't surprised because a lot of times, they aren't listening to me. So, another girl in the class told me she had a movie on her zip drive. I asked what it was and she said, "Taxi Queen". Do you know what that is? Well if you don't, you should probably just Google it. Now, I'm not what you would call a Queen Latifa fan, and this movie has her playing as the leading lady. Yay. So, at first I had the attitude of being forced to sit through this movie, but I actually thought it was quite funny. Jimmy Fallon is in it, and I just think he is hilarious, so that made it worth it!

#2 Culture Class
My Culture class which I have talked about a couple of times went well today. This is the class where a couple of people complained about my teaching methods. Class went well. I taught about the process of preparing for a baby in America. Because this is handled differently in China. Luckily, my sister is going to have a baby soon! So, I was able to use some of her pictures to show them exactly what that mom and dad will see in the ultrasound. I also showed some pictures of her growing belly! After the power point of pictures and descriptions of the preparations, I had a small activity for the class to do. We talked about how in America, everyone has a first and middle name. I had them split into groups and decide on a first and middle name for a new coming baby. Stan and I told them we would name our child after the one we liked best, haha! They said, "Really?" We said, "No, just kidding." haha! We got some pretty odd names, and some really cool ones too! It was a fun activity which everyone enjoyed. All except that one girl who doesn't particularly like me or my teaching methods and she has made that clear on more than one occasion. She was sitting in the back just looking as bored as she possibly could. But it was a good class and I just don't care what she thinks. That's it, plain and simple. It may sound mean, but it is the truth. I was happy with the class.

#3 Jasmine
I had to go make copies for something I am doing in class tomorrow. So as I was waiting for the worker to finish making my copies this woman walked in. She looked back at me once, twice, three times and said, "Can I help you with something. Do you need help?" in almost perfect English. I explained I was waiting for my copies to finish being made. We got into a good conversation and I found out her name is Jasmine and she did some graduate work at Auburn in Alabama! She just moved to the Xiasha district with her husband and a 16 month old baby. They don't have many friends because they just moved there. We exchanged numbers and I told her I would love for her to meet my husband sometime. Keep Jasmine in mind!

#4 Cycling!
Jenn, another American here in Xiasha told me her school which is a ten minute walk from mine has cycling classes and we decided to go to one tonight. I'm sure my school does something like that, but it's more fun and beneficial to do it with someone! So we just got back and it was so cool! I've cycled by myself on stationary bikes many times and I love it, but this was so much better! First of all, the room was set up with all these bikes and it was pitch black...all except for the disco ball spinning at the top left corner of the room, shining light on everyone at different times. Ha! We got there right as it was starting so the only bikes left where at the front. Yay. Not too excited about being watched the whole time, but once we got into it we realized we were just smokin everyone in there! We were keeping up with the instructor even though we didn't understand him! We just watched what he did and followed! Now, that sounds cocky, but it just made us feel good that we got a good workout and WE weren't the ones who were struggling! that's always a plus in a workout! I was like a hip-hop cycling class too! We worked muscles I've never worked on a bike! haha! We were so excited and made a couple friends after!

I have a sense of belonging now because I am making Chinese friends out here. I actually want to eat Chinese food now, haha! That may seem like it has nothing to do with the previous sentence...oh but it does! I'm feeling better about being here and my purpose. Please think about these things and the relationships which can possibly stem from them! Thanks for reading, I love you all!!

5 comments:

  1. Fun day! You make me want to join a Chinese cycling class. Maybe I should start one here like that. Hah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy for you that you had a good day. Hoping these relationships grow deep. Thinking about you and Stan as I do some woodworking today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! Thanks for talking about your day. I love reading about your adventures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting to have a day like that!! I'm glad you didn't let that one student ruin the good day! I'm glad you have American and Chinese friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad for your good day and new contacts. Will keep all these people in my thoughts.
    Love your blogs !!! Try to encourage your husband to get back on the blog band wagon.
    I love ya,
    Layna

    ReplyDelete