Tuesday, April 13, 2010

This is normal...Oh China

No really, what I am about to tell you is normal in China. I was teaching class today and we were doing a listening activity. I was playing different songs in English and they had to write down a certain number of words they heard. I kept playing music as I dismissed class and everyone was leaving. I was gathering my things and a Chinese man walked in. I said, "Hello" and stopped the music. He said, "Hello, glad to meet you." I reciprocated and asked if he was a teacher here. He said he was. Then the expected awkward silence set in as I was gathering my things. I just let it hang there until he said, "Can you come to my class?" I was confused. I said, "Uhhm, what would you like me to do?" He said, "I would like you to teach the students something. Maybe say something to them." He was guiding me to his classroom and I still don't know what he wants me to do. He finally said, "I have something for you to read to them and then maybe say something after." Ok... What's going through my head? "Oh China..." So I agreed, of course.

I follow him to the classroom and he asked my name and I told him. He said, "Oh like the love story, Romeo and Juliet." I said, "Well...yes, but it's JuliANE." He replied, "Oh yes, of course." Of course...because he knows me. haha, the way they say things is so funny. Anyway, so I got to the classroom and the students gasp in awe of a foreign teacher! Oh China... The teacher introduced me and said that I was going to teach them something. So he pointed to a passage in the English book and told me how much to read. So I did. Then I tried my best to act like these were my students and not feel awkward, haha. I was finished explaining the passage and I looked at the teacher and said, "Would you like me to do anything else?" He replied, "Thank you, xie xie, xie xie, thank you, thank you." Xie Xie is Thank you in Chinese. So I gathered my belongings and said good bye to the class and they responded with a resounding "Bye Bye." I heard the teacher continue to explain the passage, and that's all he wanted me to do.

That's the first time that's ever happened to me, but I've heard of it happening to other teachers. Interactions like that are pretty likely in China, but it's always different when it happens to you. I was nervous at first because I thought I was going to have to give a lecture, then I realized it's a Chinese teacher, wanting me to give a Chinese type lecture. Not so difficult, especially because we (first language English speakers) are experts on the language here! Thanks for reading, and don't forget to think about me in China!! I love you all!!

5 comments:

  1. That would happen to me when I was in Thailand. They would ask me to come help in their english class and I was like, help do what, and they were like... we just want you to talk. I was like ooookaaaay. Very akward, but then ended up just wanting me to repeat everything they said so that the students could hear it in correct english. But yeah, totally weird at first. "we just want you to talk", oh my.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really like Papa sending big brother. We get to see and hear it done properly. We are urged to have his mind, but we can only know what that is by watching his mind in action. How does he deal with the woman they would stone? How does he deal with hard heads? What would Papa do if he were one of us?

    The incredible thing is you get to model that servant mindset! We all do, every day.

    Keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you can read this Juliane fixed my computer so i can comment on ppl's blogs... thanks wife!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go JULIET! Can I start calling you that now? haha
    So, this might be a really dumb question but do you speak some Chinese? Did you have to go to school for that before you left?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow....that would be weird. Like you said..."Oh China !". LOL
    Layna

    ReplyDelete