Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Share your Milkshake

We LOVE Chick-fil-A milkshakes! Especially the cookies and cream ones! Yum Yum Yum! Before we left for China, we took every opportunity to eat whatever we wanted (probably almost to the point of being glutenous) and this was one of those things in which we indulged ourselves. My mouth is watering, just thinking about it! I digress...

Anyway, one of these times when we were in the drive through at Chick-fil-A, waiting for our milkshakes, Stan and I began to have an argument, as husbands and wives do. (Who knows what it was about now, that's the way it goes a lot of the time. Something silly in hindsight.) Anyway, so we got our milkshake, and this particular milkshake we had decided to share. (We were getting a little pudgy and decided splitting one was healthier than having our own...right? Riiiiight.) So amidst our argument we are sharing this milkshake: angry with each other, and frankly, not wanting to speak, but still sharing the milkshake.

In the middle of that scene, I got an idea in my head and I couldn't stop laughing. Stan probably thought I was crazy, because I went from feeling angry to instantly laughing. So I explained to him that I had a new philosophy on love. I said, "Love is sharing your milkshake when you're in an argument." Despite being angry with each other, we were still sharing. And that's been our philosophy. I apply it to every kind of love there is. If I have a friend who is annoying, and obnoxious, and rude, I "share my milkshake". I do not keep the milkshake to myself by keeping my love to myself. I share my love. I give that person what they need. When you're not feeling like sharing your milkshake, that's the time you need to do it the most. It's a good chance for you to love our Father, if you are loving others. I see so much hate, and so many people who are treated badly. I myself do it, and I need a reminder!

So "share your milkshake" please. Don't keep it all to yourself just because you are angry, or have hurt feelings and want to gossip, or are feeling mistreated yourself! We are commanded to love. So let's do it! I am so often reminded of the wonderful words, (And please read it, even though you know what it says. Read the words.)

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails."

Well, thanks for reading! Don't forget to think about me in China! I love you all! Share your milkshake!

P.S. My parents are coming to China!!! They will be here in less than two days! We will be busy, so I'll blog about it, but I don't know when! Yay!!

6 comments:

  1. Great post. For decades I make milkshakes for my wife, children and now my son-in-law every Wednesday evening. I only make chocolate or vanilla, but they are world famous (a little exaggeration)! You are so right about the love poem. Putting it into practice makes us so much like Big Brother and Papa. Thanks for the reminder.

    Enjoy having your folks with you. I am sure it will be a great time for all of you. Just want you to know I am thinking of you, Stan and the rest of the crew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder Jurles. I def. needed that! and you know it to!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that absolutely made my day. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha I love this philosophy! Sounds like something we would do for sure. That's hilarious and so true!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The visual of you all not speaking yet sharing a Chick Fil A milkshake cracks me up ! ! !
    It is a GREAT comparison and a much needed reminder for us to share the love.
    I love ya ! !
    Layna

    ReplyDelete