Thursday, September 30, 2010

A Sudden Bout of Insomnia

Well, that just about says it. It's 2:30 AM, I am tired, but can't sleep. I've been playing around on the internet for a while, reading, playing games on my phone, and watching TV, trying to fall asleep! So, I don't know if I've ever been one to say, "I lost sleep over _____ last night." But I think I can say that tomorrow. I got this email from my supervisor, Cindy telling me I needed to use the book in my class more. She said she had some complaints from some students about it. Well, I'll just let you read the email...


HI, Juliane,
There is a preblem about your teaching.
It seems that you do not often use the textbooks in your English Viewing Listening and Speaking and Introduction to English Speaking Countries. Recently some students have some complaints. They appreciate the games in class, but they hope you teach some contents in the textbooks so that they would get more information in the short persiods. Would you please modify your plan a little to cover more information from the textbooks?
Or ,we can talk about it sometime after the long holiday?
Take care and have a good holiday!
Cindy


Now, this may seem simple to you, but I feel as though I have been accused of just playing games in my classes. This is not the case, and I immediately felt the need to defend myself. I explained these activities are provided for the students so I, the teacher, can get to know the students, monitor how well they follow directions, encourage the students to speak aloud in class, and therefore have a better understanding of their level of oral English. They are not games. They have purpose. I continued to explain that I have been planning to begin teaching out of the book after the October Holiday (since I have only seen some of my classes 3 times). I think it's a good length of time to learn where the students are academically in their oral English.

So, I have been up trying not to think about this email. I did reply to her email very nicely but I am still having trouble with it. That's why I can say, "I lost sleep over it last night." I'm thinking it might have to do with a little pride issue. I don't want anyone to think I'm a stupid or bad teacher after all! But that's the thing about pride...it's hardest to admit from those who need to admit it the most. Well, I would like your opinions, please. If you are a regular reader of my blog, I would like to hear what you think. I so very, very badly do not want anyone to think I am a bad teacher. But I also think I need to work on the pride a bit, too. Anyway, thanks for reading! Please think about me in China! I love you all!

7 comments:

  1. Hey Juliane! As a teacher myself, I understand the hurt feelings and sense of pride you feel about your job. When we are critiqued at work, teachers tend to automatically take the comments as bad and hurtful or untrue. I think this is because we have a reason for everything that we do in class...or at least I hope we do:) Maybe your students that might have complained aren't the game lovers and obviously don't understand the point of them. I would take this email just as a learning experience. You can't control the fact that it was sent, but I am sure they don't think you are a bad teacher. You know what works and what doesn't. I am still learning and I am on year number five. Maybe this isn't a lesson in how to do better in class, because I know you are great, but more a lesson of being able to handle comments and constructive criticism from others. Unfortunately, we have to learn how to handle comments from parents of our kids all the time and most of the time they don't know what is going on in class. Other times, they are great comments. Either way, you can find a way for it to make you a better teacher than the great one that you were. I hope this wasn't just rambling. You're not a bad teacher:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT KELLY SAID ! ! ! You are NOT a bad teacher. You learned last year how to work with and teach the students and the culture and it worked ! ! !
    It is really hard to teach first graders without initially finding out where they are academically. I would think that it would be more important to find that out with basically non-English speaking college students as well
    A good teacher always wonders if they are teaching and reaching the students.....You KNOW your methods work.....your teaching reaches in the most important way possible. Just integrate some of the official book to keep everyone happy.
    You are wonderful and so is your Message.....give them more time to realize it. They are babes.....
    I love ya,
    Layna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with both of the above posts. First of all, if it has only been three classes, then it makes sense that you were getting to know your students before you dig in to the material. It is always better to know your audience that way the message that you provide is in a way that everyone understands. Secondly, I don't think the email was meant to hurt your feelings. Put yourself in Cindy's shoes. You are a supervisor and you have an employee from a different country. I'm sure everyone is excited to be in your class because from what I understand people on this side of the world love to know Americans and their culture. It could have been that she asked the students (or they willingly told her) how your class was going and they simply said that you haven't really gotten into the text book yet. It may not have been in a complaining tone, but just not the type of class they are used to. We have noticed since we have been in Malaysia that the people here simply "study for the exams" They have huge exams and that is how they prove themselves educationally. I imagine that it's somewhat similar in China and they are used to textbook teaching, where in the states we are taught more "freestyle" I guess you call it. We are taught problem solving and situational skills, where here they are simply taught the test material here. Try to stay positive and like Kelly said take it as constructive critisim. Always remember that the true test is at the end of the semester and how much the students have learned from your class. Don't let this get you down! I'll be praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judging from what yall have said about their chinese teachers teaching them lots of incorrect english things, and from all of the chinglish signs and things that are "professionally" done, I would be more upset if they thaught I was teaching just like they wanted me to. (just realized I typed yall and proceeded to make a comment about incorrect english) -LEE-

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, what Lee said, only with "you guys" instead of "ya'll" and thought instead of thaught...he's on vacation and doesn't like to think fast when he's not working..at least that's what he said when he was whining about us making him play a speedy card game. (He beat us anyway!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You just keep up the great job you are doing!! You are the best teacher those students will ever have!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julianne, you are an excellent teacher. But this is your first semester at a new school and they don't know you yet. As noted in the comments about Malaysia, this may be a cultural issue. There may be students who are uncomfortable because you're not "by the book." They may be afraid of what the tests will be like since you have not used the text book yet.

    Think hard about the situation and especially the pride issue. I know that I do not take criticism well (especially when it first comes). You know yourself well and it sounds like you think pride may be playing a part in your reaction. Admitting that (if it is true) is the first step to learning what Papa wants you to discover in this experience.

    Whatever you do, make sure you do not let this be used by the enemy to beat you up. Let your light shine.

    Your supervisor and these students will learn that you gleam as true gold. Keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete