Monday, September 6, 2010

A Blessing in "De-skies"

We got our schedules and are halfway through the first week! Our friends and families have been asking for our schedules. My mom asked about it the other day and I said, "I'm gonna do a blog about it." haha! That sounds rude, but it's just crazy getting settled in here. I truly believe the "settling in" process takes longer here than in the U.S. I digress...

I am teaching primarily Audio-visual classes, with the exception of one Culture class. And I love it! So, I would like to show you what my schedule is:

Monday:
8:00-11:35 (2 different Advanced AV classes)
~ Lunch Break ~
3:10-4:45 Culture class

Tuesday:
8:00-11:35 (2 different Regular AV classes)

Wednesday (only the first week and 16th week)
1:30-4:45 (2 different Regular AV classes)

Now, don't let the Wednesday classes confuse you. At this new school, they have cut some of our classes a week or two short and ask us to teach double on some weeks. It's not that bad, because I'm not with classes for the week!

Stan's schedule is pretty much the opposite of mine, but he'll do his own blog on that. When we first got our schedules, I was a little bummed out because they were polar opposites. But the day before we started classes, Stan and I sat down and talked about what we would do in our classes. We came to the conclusion that it would be a good idea to help each other in our classes since our schedules are exactly opposite. After doing it for 3 days in a row, it has worked out beautifully! We're really excited about the semester because we feel that teaching together will help our students know us as a unit better than if we were to teach separately. It's looking like this situation will be beneficial for His work! So what started out as a bummer was a "blessing in de-skies". Ok, I know that's really corny, but we feel blessed! haha! Thank you all for reading! Don't forget to think about me in China! I love you all!

9 comments:

  1. That really is amazing!! Ya'll get to be together all day too huh?! That is a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's cool you guys are working together! It'll be great for your relationship too! Way to turn a bad situation around! :) thinking about you guys in China.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whats with the AV classes? What are they like?

    -Lee

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's really special to see those blessings in de-skies. Always thinking about you. dd

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to finally hear about how your time there has been going. I have had so many questions but have gotten very few answers....I know how your Mom feels ! ! !
    The class arrangement sounds like a really good idea. And you are so right about it being an advantage to doing His work. Things have a strange way of working out for the good....well not so strange for His children.
    Many thoughts coming your way and much love ! ! !
    Layna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everybody! Lee, the AV classes are listening, speaking, viewing classes. I show them English speaking videos and movies and then we discuss them afterward. We've also decided to incorporate the Proverbs into the discussion after the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Blessings in de-skies"--is that Chinglish? :-) Big Brother sent people out two-by-two, so there is wisdom in what you are doing. You will be able watch the reactions of the students for one another. Non-verbal responses give great insights into what people are thinking. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you will get to be together in each other's classes. Hope that works out well and isn't too much. I would think it might help you in other ways in reaching out to the students. Your dad is proud of you Juliane.

    Your dad.

    ReplyDelete