Tuesday, September 15, 2009

It's Not a Free Country


Today I needed to buy a DS card for my camera. We were eating at a seafood market close to Kyle and Rebecca’s school. It was very good, by the way! There are a lot of different electronics stores along the way, so I thought I would stop at one on our way back. I turned to Rebecca while we were walking back and said, “Hey, I wanna stop in here and get a card for my camera. You don’t have to go if you don’t want to.” And then, a little more tongue-in-cheek, I said, “I mean, you CAN do whatever you want. It’s a free countr-.” And then I stopped short. It is NOT a free country. I realized something I had been saying my whole life, in jest, was something I could not say truthfully now, in this country. It was weird to experience that.

They like to think they are free, but it is not like America. It makes me appreciate America. I don’t believe America does everything right and is the best at everything, but I do appreciate America. The things I see China doing right are things like living more simple lives. They should be commended. Some people live simpler lives because they are poor, but most people just do what they have to do, and have what they need, and nothing else. They don’t have all the fluff that American’s have, because they do not see the need in it.

Well, anyway, I feel like I have rambled. I just thought I would share that little experience with you. Thanks for thinking of us! I love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment