Thursday, March 31, 2011

Frustrating day...

This has been an extremely frustrating day. This week in class, I gave my students the assignment to find a partner and make a dialogue with each other. They had to use at least 10 words and phrases from a list of about 40. I thought I was going easy on them. In one class 4 boys sat and did nothing the entire 20 minutes I gave them to prepare. I didn't know this until it was time for them to present their dialogue. I called on them and one boy looked up and said, "No... I have nothing." As if I had startled him! He laughed and looked back down as if that answer was acceptable. Since all of them were not going to volunteer any information, I called on each of them and they all gave the same answer. I kept them after class and explained to them that it was unacceptable to do nothing in class. I warned them that with this type of behavior, they will fail the class. This same thing happened in every class. So very very very frustrating! They think they can get by with doing nothing because, well... they can in this country. It doesn't matter what I say, they know the oral English class is the least of their worries. It's the truth here. I'm not looking for pity comments about this, because it's just the truth, not me getting down on myself. The oral English classes just aren't that important.

Then as I was leaving my last class for the afternoon (I still have one more tonight) I got a phone call. A woman who had called Stan a couple of days ago asked if he could teach a speech class. He said he couldn't because he would have too many hours and that would be a breach of his contract. So, she called me. I only have 14 hours, I am supposed to have 16. She told me that I must teach this class and that the class is on Wednesday night, but that I have the choice of changing the time. I told her that Wednesday is the worst day to do the class, because that is when I have most of my classes. She seemed a bit put off to have to change the time of the class (but it's my choice to change the time...) Anyway, I told her Monday nights would be better. She said the class will start next week. I remembered then that we have a holiday coming up on Monday and Tuesday and don't have to teach classes. I reminded her of that. she asked if I could do the class on Friday nights. Friday nights!?! Really? I mean really? As you can tell, I'm having a bit of a bad day and everything is very frustrating to me. So I told her that a Friday night class would certainly not be the best time to have the class. Seeming put out again, she said we would just meet the next week after the holiday. fine. I asked her what the class is about. She said it is a public speaking class. Have I ever taught public speaking? No! Have I been through training for that? No! I told her I regretted to inform her that I honestly do not think I am qualified for this class. She laughed and said, "But you teach English here." I said, "I teach oral English. That is completely different from Public Speaking." She asked, "You are from America, right?" Me: "Yes." Her: Well, I know that you had to take a public speaking class in college. Is that right?" Me: "Yes, of course. This does not mean I am qualified to teach it after sitting through one class." Again, she laughed, "Well, I think it is good enough." Good enough? GOOD ENOUGH!!? She said she would send me the details. I said ok and hung up, defeated.

**SIGH**

These things happen ALL THE TIME, I just don't blog about them that much. But I think today I hit my breaking point. I'm glad I can have some time to cool off before that class actually starts because it makes me so angry that they are just looking for someone, anyone to fill the position. I am in no way certified, qualified, or have had the amount of classes needed to teach this class. It's not a self-esteem issue, I just don't have the training. But I will do my best. I know I will be fine, and I'm not nervous about it at all, just frustrated.

Whew! I needed to get that all out! Cuz now I feel a little better about it. If Stan had been here, he would have heard all of that and I probably wouldn't have blogged about it, Ha! But it is one of those things that happens here in this wonderful education system. I hope all of that made sense... if not, too bad. Ha! :)

Thanks for reading (if you got all the way through it) :) I love you all!

5 comments:

  1. Aw I'm sorry you had a bad day! I'm glad you have this resource to get all of your frustrations out since Stan isn't there. You just blog about it girl!! We're here for you! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, I know how you feel. I could write a hundred blogs about frustrating days here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That stinks and that would get me down too! I am sorry :( I know when I coach and I ask my girls to do something specifically and they don't do it I am so disappointed and it is draining!!!
    Hang in there. I'll be praying for you as you start the speech class.
    LOVE you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is great that you are confident you will be able to do the class, despite your lack of qualifications. The presumption of this lady is understandably frustrating, but your can-do attitude will benefit someone who is involved in this situation. I hope you find a person of peace in this class--I am asking for that for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just getting caught up on your blog. I have not been online much since Wednesday.
    I know that you can meet this challenge regardless of your training. And this might be, like John said, just the class where you find that special person that is not boxed in like many others are in China. It might present the most perfect opportunity for teaching someone about the Good Son.
    I, too, will ask for that.
    I love you and really wish you were here. Doesn't seem right without you !!!
    Layna

    ReplyDelete