Monday, December 27, 2010

Oh China...

About a week ago, Stan was feeling like he was getting an ear infection. I knew he needed a Z-pac, and I knew how to find it on my Chinese Dictionary (Azithromycin), and I even knew where to get it at our local Pharmacy. (In China you can buy any pharmaceutical product OTC which needs a prescription in America.) The only thing I couldn't remember was how many pills needed to be taken the first day. I thought it was two, but I wanted to make sure. So... Stan and I were with some of his students when we went to the Pharmacy. We went together and got it. The girl who was helping me was so sweet and trying her best to do everything I needed. After I bought the box, I asked her to tell me how many pills to take the first day because I cannot read the Chinese.

She said, "I think maybe just one is ok."
I said, "But what does it say?"
Looking back at the box.... *hesitation* ...."I think one is just ok. Two is too much."
I said, "I need you to tell me what it says, and not what you think. Please, can you do that for me? I think you are supposed to take two the first day. Can you please read what it says on the box?"
"Yes...uhhhh... *hesitation* ...it says two on the first day, but I think one is ok."
"Oh yes, ok, thank you."

I take the box and make my way back to our apartment. The end.

If you know anything about a Z-pac, the way it works is taking two pills at the beginning (the first day) and one everyday after that. One on the first day is not enough. It will not work if you do that. I just couldn't remember if it was two or more. Whew! Almost always in China when you need help with something, you can find someone to help you. But sometimes, you don't get the kind of help you want...and it makes the situation a bit more difficult than if you had not asked for help at all. haha! Sometimes the Chinese people (especially with respect to illnesses) will tell you that you are not caring for the illness the correct way. They will say it is not right and they know the better way to do it. This is frustrating at times, because I don't say that to them about their Traditional Chinese medicine. I just feel like our cultures are different and we choose to do things differently. That shouldn't reflect which way is better, or which culture is better. They are just different!

But the point is, in the end it doesn't matter because all those girls who went with us are fun to be around and we have a good relationship with all of them! There are things which get in the way a little bit because of culture, but we are still friends! And that is the start to letting them see Him in us. And THAT is important!

Anyway, this is one thing which is difficult to deal with in the Chinese culture. Being told you are wrong about something you have grown up with isn't always easy to hear. But what I want to remember is it is important to not let that get in the way of becoming friends and reaching people! Well, that's all! Thanks for reading! I love you all!!

3 comments:

  1. You are wise to differentiate between these cultural oddities and what is most important. Separating their responses from their value is critical. Keep becoming friends with them and introducing them to the greatest of all friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing a great job!! Maybe you should learn Chinese?? HAHA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Western medicine meets Eastern medicine. Interesting differences. Perhaps it would be interesting to learn some of their remedies while you are there. I have received great benefit from an herbal practitioner here in KY. Hope Stan feels better now.

    ReplyDelete