Sunday, May 30, 2010

I hope I'm not awkward...

We will be arriving in Nashville pretty soon! It's not too far away! We are going to have to get used to a few things as you can imagine. This blog is a compiled list of the few things we will have to get used to doing again...

1. Carrying a driver's license
2. Driving
3. Driving in America
4. Sending a picture text message
5. Not using awkward statements we use everyday

Number 1 & 2: We just don't drive here. I know it's like riding a bike, and we'll hop back on no problem but it's still gonna be an adjustment.

Number 3: The driving here is much different. When we first got here I thought all the drivers were crazy. But after being here, there are just as many crazy drivers here as there are in America. They just drive differently as a country and if you tried to drive like that in America, you would die.

Number 4: I got the cheapest phone you could buy (well, Kris and Michael beat me, haha) and I can't take pictures with my phone. I know that seems a little silly, but it's something I haven't done in a while!

Number 5: Daily, we use phrases the Chinese people say, that are frankly quite awkward and not spoken from the lips of an American. These phrases are usually pronounced with the utmost enunciation, which makes them unusual: "Take care" when meaning 'be careful' or 'watch out'. "It is a pity" meaning 'I hate it for ya' ;) or 'It's a shame'. And Stan's favorite: When you say you are sorry, they will respond with, "Nos(th)ing, Nos(th)ing". But they don't pronounce the 'th'. In general when I come back from class I speak to Stan like I do my students. I enunciate every single letter. And we have to say to each other, "I'm not Chinese."

So, just tell me you are not Chinese if I begin to say one of these phrases to you. :) I told Stan I hoped I wasn't going to be awkward when I go home, so now he's calling me awkward every chance he gets! haha, so funny. Well, that's all for today! Thanks for reading and don't forget to think about me in China! I love you all!!

5 comments:

  1. You're hilarious...and so awkward, I mean...so normal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I remember how you all talked at Christmas. LOL !!!
    I don't care how you talk to me. I am just anxious to see you face to face and get to talk to you. I apologize for Stanford calling you awkward. He is his father's son, you know....
    I love you,
    Layna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeeahhh... I'm really bad about the pronunciation/speed thing with Shannon. I come back from three hours of class, and it takes me watching The Office or some other TV show to get my brain back in the proper gear. ;-) Good luck, Awkward. -Justin H.

    ReplyDelete