Friday, February 4, 2011

Chuck E. Cheese




February 10th is a day when in the past, me and Stan have celebrated our first date. We went to Chuck E Cheese! And it was so fun! That has been a tradition of ours for years. Last year we didn't get to celebrate this tradition because #1: We were no where near a Chuck E Cheese, and #2: We were traveling. Such is the case this year. Actually, on the 10th we will be on a bus for a good part of the day. It's coming up soon, and it got me thinking. I start off with that situation because it is the closest one to us right now. There have been many traditions which have been broken during our time in China. For example, all the things we usually do in the Fall, we didn't do. At Thanksgiving, we weren't around our family like we normally are. We didn't have all the Thanksgiving foods we are used to having because everyone pitched in and cooked something different. We didn't have our traditional Christmas the way we do in the States. We didn't eat what we traditionally eat on Christmas. We weren't even in America. Stan's parents came, but for the past 2 years, I haven't seen my family on Christmas. I am not complaining by any means. Now that I re-read that, it sounds like I am. I am just hoping to drive the point home to you that my life of tradition has been challenged, and I think, for the better! My reason for writing about tradition is because a lot of people hold on to it, dearly, as if it would kill them to let it go. No, it's not fun to be away from family and tradition, but that's not what this is about. Whether it be in church, holidays, or family functions, people dearly hold on to tradition. I think it's a shame actually, because I've learned that you don't need it. It has helped keep me open minded about life in general. I'm not saying you should forget all the traditions your church or family has. In fact, I'm not saying your should do anything at all. This is just me thinking out loud.

We've been able to do some traditions still, but because we have not gotten to do some of them hasn't turned our world upside down. Sometimes we made new traditions, and at times we've just lived together and loved each other, and did what was best or felt right (considering the circumstances). Too many people hold so tight to tradition that it becomes more important than the people around them. That's why I think it is a shame. I am not saying I have a better understanding about this than anyone else. I just have a different understanding because of my personal experiences. And like I said, I'm not saying you should do anything or think a certain way. You can disagree if you like, but before you do, come to China for 2 years. ;) (winking emoticon: symbolizing sarcasm, if you didn't know) Anyway, I just wanted to log that in the "Things I've learned on this adventure" category. I just want you to know I didn't write this blog for people to comment things like, "I'm so sorry you don't get to keep your traditions" and the like. That's the complete opposite of what I want. haha! Well, that's all I've got! Thanks for listening! I love you all!

6 comments:

  1. "I'm glad you didn't get to keep your traditions." - That's the complete opposite, right? ;)

    But really, I missed Thanksgiving and Christmas this year at home too. I was upset, but you're right. I had fun with the Durhams, and they're my new family. (Not new replacing you, you know) Good outlook, sister!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog! I really learned about traditions vs what's right/wrong when I was there too. It really made me think. You did a really good job putting it into words. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good post!!! Celebrating Chinese New Year with Chinese people gave me a whole new perspective on tradition. I know it's important to them, but some of the things they do seems so silly to me and doesn't make sense. I'm sure if they came around my family during holidays they would think the same thing about us. Even though we were unable to spend the holidays with our families, when we get home my family has planned all of the missed holidays so it will feel just like we were there. HEHE!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your broadened perspective. Cultural traditions give a climate of predictability and comfort. But when our desire to control and avoid discomfort prevents us from fulfilling our destiny, then traditions are out of whack! Living in another culture helps to push us to realize how much of what we do is driven more by our human traditions than by our Father's will.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Juliane, I happened to come across your blogger, it is nice to see you are experiencing China which is my home country!
    About ShuRen University -- you are right, "Shu" means "tree", also it can be used as verb " plant a tree", "Ren" is people, "ShuRen" means more like "Plant a human", we always say, it takes 10 years to grow a tree, it takes 100 years to cultive a human with a noble heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your comment. I know that ShuRen doesn't actually mean "tree people". ha! It is only a joke :) Thanks for your help though!

    ReplyDelete