Friday, April 8, 2011

Teaching Re-cap!

This week in my class I played the ABC game with my students. If you don’t know what that is, I’m sorry, you didn’t have a good childhood. ☺ just kidding… I wrote the ABC’s up on the board and had one student throw the ball at the board to choose a random latter. Then the students each said one word, following the alphabet, to make a sentence. I left out the letters X and Z because there are so few words they know that start with X and Z. I made it a tad easier on them… I wanted them to focus on getting the right form of word. This activity was good for them to practice grammar. It really challenged them! I have included some of the ones we did this week. Each class started with a different letter and not with A. Also, some of the classes got to do another one with groups, (that’s why some of them aren’t in an alphabetical sequence.)

Some of these are not very good, but I included all of these because there is something funny in each one! Tell me which one is your favorite! ☺

I just kissed lots more nuts. Our party quit recently. Saturday Tom used vegetables. When your Aunt borrows caps directly, every friend goes home immediately. Jack killed Lilly’s mother natively on purpose, quietly. Recently speaking tenderly.

Kings live more nervously on purpose. Queens run slowly, then uncles view wonderful yellow apples. Bikes circle damaged eggs finally. Girls hug ibex. Jumping kind land may need occupations possibly. Quality raises success.

Afternoon! Before classrooms draw eager flowers, good hats ignore jackets. Kevin loves money, not only pounds. Questions remember students. Teachers undertake vacations. Wonderful years ask Bella colorfully dressed. Every Friday, girls highlight important jobs kindly.

Tea usually values wonderful yummy ants. Boys come down eventually for girls. Hate in jackets keep labels. Meanwhile, nationally organized parties quickly recycle. Orange plants quickly result some truth.

First, girls have ideals. Jenny kept literature. Michael noticed old paper. Questions reflect simple topics. University volunteers want yellow apples. Boys can do every funny game. However, I just know Linda. Michael nods occasionally. Peter questions reasonably. Eventually friends get high international jobs.

Asked my students if they knew what it meant if their friends get high. They nodded with deadpan faces, and went on to the next person. I thought since they did not laugh, that they truly did not know what it meant. So I asked again, “Are you sure you know what it means?”

“Yes. To feel happy.”

“No, it means—“

“Have too much alcohol?”

“No, it means to use drugs too much.”

Just so you know, the possession, usage, and exchange of drugs is completely illegal in China. The punishment is serious… really serious, so this is nothing to be spoken about lightly. When I said what it meant, their eyes got big and they immediately wanted to recant. But as you can see, they made it work without it having anything to do with drugs. I found it funny, but I don’t know if they did. ☺

It was a fun week of classes and next we are watching a movie, “The Blindside” and then having a discussion about it the next week. There are good opportunities for good discussion about good things! If you have suggestions about discussion, that would be helpful! If you haven’t seen the movie, you should! Ok, that’s all I have for today. Thanks for reading, I love you all!

5 comments:

  1. I missed out on the ABC game! Thanks for enlightening me, though. There are some funny ones on here. At times I wondered if you were priming them for Chinglish! :-) Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I didn't understand the game until Stanford explained it to me.....duh, Layna !!!
    Those are pretty funny and nonsensical (is that a word?). Sounds like a fun game though.
    The ABC game that we played was one we did in the car. The driver's side people (front and back) played against the passenger side people. You had to find the ABC's in order from road signs on your side. The first one to get to 'Z' was the winners. The losers had to buy the winners icecream :) But of course Daddy was usualy on the driver's side and Mama on the passenger side. So us kids never really had to buy the icecream. THAT was our ABC game.
    Thanks for sharing.....
    Love ya,
    Layna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am bob ,ur friend in hangzhou .this days I call stan,but his cellphone is poweroff.we can't connect to you now.How are you now? linda ,angel and i are all missing you and stan.if you see the message,please call me.your friend bob.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah Layna we played that same ABC game. I am still a little confused about this one, but the sentences were fun to read. I loved "Bikes circle damaged eggs finally" and "Quality raises success." The second one is so motivational!! I just like the randomness of the first one. I really want to come to your class it sounds like y'all have sooooo much fun!!
    HMMMM points you could make about the blindside...I think the obvious one would be about racism since he was adopted by a white family. I don't know how you could bring up the discussion of body image through this movie, but you and I both know that asians think very highly of their body image so maybe you will find someway to bring that into the discussion. Good luck and I can't wait to hear how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. THe adverbs at the end of almost every sentence crack me up. This sounds like a fun game. I bet you are such a fun teacher!!!

    ReplyDelete