Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Best Friends

Stan likes to wrap himself up in his sleeping bag from time to time when he's cold. And I think it's cute, so I thought I'd share it with you!



Many people choose times like Valentines Day and anniversaries to have a tribute blog for their significant other. But I was just thinking about this today... My husband really is my best friend. I was thinking of it because of something that happened this past Sunday. We've joyfully discovered that we can get some American TV shows here in Vietnam! Now, I'm not one to watch TV when at the beach, but at night when there are only mosquitos waiting to eat me...I'll stay inside and watch TV. So there are only a few, but they're good ones like the Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, National Geographic, TLC, and a couple more. Anyway, so we were walking back from dinner and I said, "It's Sunday night! That means something new has to be coming on the discovery channel!" Stan turned to Kevin and said, "How did I get a wife who loves the Discovery Channel?!"

Now, I like "girly" things, but I probably like more "boy" things than "girl" things. I like boy TV shows, movies and even conversation. I laugh at gross things boys do. I just think it's funny when other girls might roll their eyes. But the thing is, I don't think of it that way at all. It's not girl or boy to me, I'm just me, and I like what I like. So, this got me thinking, me and Stan are really close. Really best friends. I mean, I thought of him and cherished him as my best friend when we were dating, and when we got married.

We dated for 3 years before we got married, so we've been together for over 6 years. But over the past 3 1/2 years of marriage, I've realized he's even more of a best friend to me now than before! This past year and a half has really pushed us to help each other to grow, and in turn grow closer to each other. At the end of this school year, Stan and I will have spent half of our marriage in China! It's funny to think about it that way. We always say, "If you want to strengthen your marriage, move to China." Obviously there are other ways, and moving to a foreign country is not a must have...but it's been a blessing to both of us. Anyway (I try not to ramble in blog posts, but sometimes it's so easy!) I feel like 3 1/2 years of marriage will take it's own growth patterns where ever you are, but I also feel like we have something a lot of marriages don't. We've had the opportunity to be challenged early in our marriage and it's helped us to grow in ways we might not have gotten to until later! There has been lots of rubbing off on one another, but most of the time he's the one rubbing off on me, showing me how to be a better person. Because he truly is!

The best part about this is, this is only 3 1/2 years! I'm excited to see what God has in store for us in the future! I'm so thankful for the opportunities God has given us! Thanks for reading, I love you all!

7 comments:

  1. How sweet is that!!!! I completely agree that living in another country makes your closer!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so sweet! Yall are too cute. Stan looks like a pea pod in that sleeping bag. ha!
    WE miss yall in the STATES!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes....I love this blog ! ! !
    And I love you....
    Layna

    ReplyDelete
  4. .....and he looks like a caterpillar ! ! !
    Layna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Probably my favorite of all your posts. God is obviously blessing your marriage as you spread the good news of the kingdom. It is great to see the love you two have for one another!

    ReplyDelete